If you're like me once and you're clueless about anything baby-related then you probably dread the day when the baby will come and you have to attend your friend's baby shower and bring a gift good enough to sit with the other sophisticated nappy cakes and baby boxes.
Thankfully, I have gone to enough baby showers to know that a baby gift doesn't have to be that fancy. It's the thought and functionality that counts. As long as the parents and baby can use it, then they're happy.
Still no idea what to get and the baby shower is in a few days? Here are some last-minute ideas to help you in choosing baby gifts:
- A nursery book – even if the baby can't read yet, you can help him or her start to build his or her little own library as early as now. Pick some of your favourites that mommy and daddy will like reading to their little one.
- A spa gift certificate – give both mom and dad the much needed relaxation they needed after many stressful nights of looking after the baby. You can buy these gift certificates at the spa and select what kind of pampering you'd like to include whether it's a spa pedicure or a full body massage.
- A wall sticker set – this can come in handy if both parents are still starting out with decorating their little one's room. A wall sticker set is inexpensive, easy to apply, and instantly adds life to a room.
- A hand print and footprint kit – a way to immortalise the baby's once small feet and hands is with a hand print and foot print kit. Both mom and dad are going to love this unique gift that allows them to frame memories of their little one.
- A rag doll – Make sure to give her a girl rag doll if it's a girl and a boy rag doll if it's a boy. The parents are going to love that you got baby something to play with as he or she grows.
- A framed birth date print – this is very easy gift that you can do at home. All you need is a frame and a little bit of creativity. Put together details of baby's birth like date, time, and location. Use funky fonts and put it on a frame.
- A baby keepsake album – new parents are always keen to capturing baby's first moments whether it's his first walk, first smile, or first word. Help them create those memories with a keepsake album. Make sure it's one that is specially made for baby's moments.
- A pajama set – a comfortable pajama set is going to help keep baby feel comfortable at night thus helping mommy and daddy get their much needed Zzzs. Although it probably might not make much of a difference since babies often cry but hey, at least he or she will look cute doing it! And more clothes are always welcome considering how babies grow very fast.
- A building block set – it could be the alphabet or just the letters that spell out baby's name. Mom and dad will appreciate you took the time to pick a personalised gift for baby.
See? It's pretty easy. All you need is to take a quick stroll at the baby section of the department store and think what your expectant friends would like. Pick one appropriate for the baby's gender and that's it!
You're ready to attend the shower without worrying what the other snobby aunts will think. Have any other gift ideas for us clueless aunts? Let us know in the comments.