I’ve always believed New Year’s Resolutions were a set up, so I’ve never made one. Instead, I always opt to make a list of things I’d like to accomplish for the year–a bucket list of sorts–which provides me with enthusiasm for the twelve months of blank, white canvas just waiting for me to paint with colorful memories that lie ahead. None of them are huge life-changing tasks, just little things I’d like to be more conscious about over the coming year.
So, here goes.
1. Start taking vitamins again, and stick with it! There have been a few times in my adult life where I’ve been good with taking vitamins, and I noticed a difference almost instantly. I am a chicken finger kinda girl, so I know I can’t rely on my diet to give my body all it needs, and between that and the growing demands of my life as a single working mom, I am easily exhausted. Recently, I started having a GNC’s Womens Ultra Mega Maximum Nutrition shake once a day as a meal replacement first thing in the morning. It’s not all that bad, and it’s an easy way for me to get a decent amount of vitamins & minerals. I would like to add a Pro-biotic to my supplements, as well as more Vitamin D.
2. Shake my ass, & get paid to do it! I gave up teaching back in the Summer when I just could not manage juggling one more thing. I miss teaching Zumba more than I ever thought was possible and I am determined to squeeze just one class into my schedule this year.
3. Take my kids on a small trip each season! I’m thinking skiing/tubing this Winter, camping this Spring, Baltimore Inner Harbor this summer, and maybe Hershey Park in the Fall. I was originally thinking of surprising them with a Disney vacation, but to be honest, I feel like I’d rather spread out our getaways so that I have something special to look forward to with them every few months. I miss them terribly these days and crave quality time with them. There is so much I want to experience with them.
4. Watch TV Regularly! You may think this is an absurd “goal” but hear me out. Mindless television is such a great way to clear your mind and wind down at the end of the day. I tend to go non-stop all day long, and I have a very hard time putting away my work at night. I want to get back into getting involved in story lines so I can push aside my own. Even if just for a few hours a week.
5. Get another tattoo!
6. Change up my decor! I’m ready for some changes, and I am determined to grab a page from a friend of mines book and get the Pottery Barn look I adore through great steals on Craigslist! I’ve been “country” for 10 years, and I am ready for some simplicity, some deep colors and clean lines. I’m ready for my style to “grow up.” I blame Pinterest for this.
7. Keep my body exactly the same! Sure, I’d love to be a bit firmer all over, and I wouldn’t throw a temper tantrum if I lost a few pounds, but for the most part I’m thrilled that at 32 years old with two kids and a fu&king crazy life that I can fit into a size 4. And at 32 years old with two kids and a fu%king crazy life, keeping it this way is actually a challenge.
8. Change my relationship status on Facebook! I didn’t broadcast my marital problems on Facebook last year, and as a matter fact, I googled “how-to-privately-change-your-relationship-status” just so that no one would be alerted to my divorce in their newsfeed. I wasn’t hiding it; it just wasn’t anyone’s business. I didn’t want to shout from the rooftops that I was getting divorced. But, what I do want to shout from the rooftops is that I am in a relationship with the most amazing man I’ve ever met. Our relationship makes me giddy daily, and I am excited to become more open about him this year.
9. Wear high heels more often! I stand taller, walk more confidently and feel thinner when I wear heels….so why wouldn’t I want to wear them more often!? I just need to find a pair that can be a go-to on days where I’m just doing mom-duties, as opposed to being in the office.
10. Go back to Church. I’m quite sure this has been on my list for the past 4 years, yet it’s the one thing that carries over to the new year undone. I think what I am going to do differently, though, is to redefine the word “church.” I just want to find my faith this year.
11. Clean out my closet/s! I want to unload the junk in all my trunks. If I moved something more than once and it hasn’t been used, it’s trash. If I haven’t worn it in the past year, it’s trash. If I don’t know what it really does, it’s trash. And, by “trash” I do mean trashed, donated, or sold on eBay for some extra loot to buy more shit I’ll probably never use.
12. Grow my business–the business I’ve spent four years slowly building through this blog! What started out as a way for me to vent about my life as the “CEO” of my family has blossomed into so much more for me. I’ve grown a resume of experience in social media, and marketing. I’ve worked with some highly recognizable brands, and I’ve made great connections with women doing exactly what I want to do. It’s time to combine what I’ve learned and really do something with it.
13. Nurture the important relationships in my life. Make time for my sisters. Have lunch with my mom. Call my Dad. Have sleepovers with my cousins. Play Bunko with my girlfriends. Visit family out of town. Have drinks with co-workers. Read to my children. Write thank you notes.
How about you? Is there anything on my list that you would put on yours?