If you’re like other people, one of your cousins or close friends is always having a baby, which gets expensive as you’re always going to baby showers from time to time. That may start to stretch the budget but there is no rule stating that expensive gifts are better for the baby. In fact, many new moms prefer creative and heartfelt baby gift ideas.
These are some of my favourites:
- Books - It’s never too early to start building the baby’s first library. Fill it with board books, fairy tales, or classic tales of Dr. Seuss. Many new parents now prefer guests bringing signed books instead of cards to baby showers.
- Nursery Items - While you may not be able to afford the crib or the changing table, if you know the design or colour scheme, you can still purchase some fun stuff. Consider buying a mobile for the crib, or a growth chart with zoo animals if that is their theme. You might also want to buy some of the crib sheets or blankets, as well as some stuffed animals.
- Baby’s first aid kit - Sometimes when registering for basics, new parents forget to list everything they need in a first aid kit. Think about items like a baby thermometer, diaper rash cream, gas drops, infant pain relief, teething rings, and baby Orajel.
- Monogrammed gifts - New moms always want to show off their new baby’s name so if you don’t feel like buying off the gift registry, consider buying a present with the baby’s name on it. Wooden alphabet block letters that spell out the baby’s name are always a big hit. So are monogrammed signs that detail the meaning of baby’s name.
- Homemade gifts - If you are crafty, now is the time to use your skills. If you know how to crochet, think about making the new baby some booties, a hat or a new blanket for the car-ride home. Other ideas include making finger puppets out of felt to entertain the baby as he grows or constructing a baby frame and saving a spot for the baby’s welcome home photo.
- Gift baskets - These work well because you can combine so many basics a new mom needs into one gift. You can do it yourself but, for convenience, it’s best to purchase a themed pre-made basket. You’ll find all kinds of baby hampers in Melbourne from bath time themed baskets with hooded towels, baby wash and shampoo to rubber ducky toy baskets complete with baby blankets, sleepwear, and stuffed animals.
- Services for the new parents - Besides the basics, many new parents crave time. Consider gifting the new parents-to-be with a gift certificate for baby sitting or bring over meals for a week. Sending a gift basket complete with meals, a bottle of wine, and new movies is a thoughtful idea as it allows them to relax.
As you select a baby gift, remember to consider your relationship with the parents-to-be. Heartfelt gifts are the best and they don’t have to cost a lot of money.